Monday, July 15, 2013

No breaks!

So I posted last week that I'd caught a cold and hadn't been running.  Big mistake. Huge.

I ran finally on Saturday morning and picked up where I left off - running 2 1/2 miles (remember, I'm a beginner, and not a runner :)).  I didn't feel so hot, but pushed through and was quite proud of myself!  No huge concerns on my part at this point - I'd been sick for 5 days and hadn't run since Sunday.

Well, I ran again this morning (I run every other day) and the next step in my training program was 2 3/4 miles.  Holy smokes did I feel it today!  I really had to push through the fatigue and negative thoughts on this run.  I honestly didn't think I was going to make it, but then knew how disappointed I'd be in myself if I gave up.  So I pushed on.

But let me tell you, taking a break is not a good idea and not worth it.  I know being sick or injured is a totally valid excuse/reason.  BUT I will never let myself take a break just because - I've experienced first hand just how much you're set back by taking just a few days off!  I am SO glad that I ran while on vacation in San Diego.

So here's to looking forward and moving ahead, and running while on vacation in Seattle in September!

~ Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment